A REED SHAKEN BY THE WIND
The PGCAG, Shaken by the Wind!
LUK 7:23-25,27 (ESV) And blessed is the one who is not offended by me.”  When John’s messengers had gone, Jesus began to speak to the crowds concerning John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind?  What then did you go out to see? A man dressed in soft clothing? Behold, those who are dressed in splendid clothing and live in luxury are in kings’ courts. 26 What then did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, more than a prophet.  This is he of whom it is written, “”Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who will prepare your way before you.”
- We feel offended. Frustrated that there is no answer. Frustrated that God is not answering?
- We then become silent, we cannot praise God- we have nothing good to say. When we open our mouth, something bad comes out, something painful.
- We have more questions than answers.
- We begin to entertain doubts..
- We try to explain and invent excuses in defense of God – and actually to explain to others why there seems to be no answer! – and to stop others from saying that maybe it is our fault. That God found fault with us.
- We are building a case against God- and our evidences are accumulating…
- THIS IS CALLED OFFENSE. It is like failing, a falling away.
That is why Jesus said, “And blessed is the one who is not offended by me.”- LUK 7:23 (ESV)
Looking for an answer -“Are you the Messiah or should we look for someone else.” Where is the real answer? Our evidence against you (Jesus) is piling up.. Should we look somewhere else?- Jesus had to deal with their offended heart/faith. “And he answered them, “Go and tell John what you have seen and heard: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, the poor have good news preached to them.” – LUK 7:22 (ESV)
INTERPRETED: Now in talking to the crowd Jesus started to INTERPRET JOHN
- John is too good to just throw away.
- John is too essential in the work of Jesus.. His Role is too important to ignore.
- John’s Role must be understood. It must be interpreted well!
- What is the present role of PGCAG? Are we still God’s instrument to blanket the world with Pentecostal gospel? Are we still God’s messengers to trumpet His power to save, to heal, to baptize in the Holy Spirit? Are we still the God’s voice to announce His Second Coming – to say, “Prepare ye the way of the Lord”?
- Or is God giving up on us?
“WHAT DID YOU GO OUT TO SEE?” A REED SHAKEN BY THE WIND?
The reeds Jesus spoke of were of the sugar cane family and grew wild. They were used often to make flutes. They would generally grow 4 to 5 feet tall. During the heat of the day, they would droop, with the tops falling all the way to the ground. Beaten by scorching heat of the wilderness, it is indeed a pitiful picture of dispiritedness.
But when the cool evening wind comes, and its breeze visits the field, the reed would all shake and rise back up again, straight and tall! The people thought this was a beautiful sight to see, and would often go out to watch them all rise again! Jesus was saying, “Is this something entertaining?” This picture of death and then – awakening?
My Brothers, PGCAG may be bent over by this crisis, we may be beaten by the heat of conflicts..
BUT WHEN THE WIND OF GOD COMES AND BLOW UPON US.. WE SHALL ARISE AND LIVE!
God is not done with us yet. Awakening is here!
Welcome to the Awakening Convention.
Welcome to the Triennial General Council Convention, 2012.
REV. REY A. CALUSAY
General Superintendent, PGCAG